Day 961

 My dad used to gently tease my mom because she cries easily. A sweet commercial or kids book could instantly bring tears. He would tell people even parades caused waterworks. Today I'm the one crying through a parade.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade has always been the most important part of the holiday for my dad. I remember snuggling in with him under a big blanket with plates of cinnamon rolls and big cups of cocoa in our laps. He would show us all of the people working together to move each massive float and get excited when he caught a glimpse of a character coming up that he knew we would love. Thanksgiving morning was magic. 

As we got older we chose to sleep through the parade, more often than not. He would still make the cinnamon rolls and watch the parade alone on the couch. We'd tumble out of bed eventually and usually catch Santa on tv before the parade ended. I wish I could get those parades back.  

When my eldest son was old enough to be interested, he would spend the night at my parents house so he could watch the parade with them since we didn't have cable at our house. My dad had a parade buddy again. 

I honestly don't remember last Thanksgiving morning or the one before. Daddy was gone and we were up to our eyeballs in holiday stress. I wasn't going to let that be the case this year. This morning required cinnamon rolls but I couldn't find a round cake pan and my 3 year old was bursting into tears at every turn because he woke up too early and didn't eat enough last night. I was doing my best to cheerfully cut strawberries for him to snack on while the cinnamon rolls baked but I looked up from my cutting board and saw the massive turkey float and just lost it. So my little one and I sat on the floor of our kitchen and I cried and he cried and we held on to each other for a bit. Sometimes crying on the kitchen floor is just what the doctor ordered.

The parade is half over and my eyes haven't dried. We have cinnamon rolls and big blankets and we're marveling at all of the people it takes to move each float. I would move Heaven and Earth to have my daddy sitting on this couch with us. 

We have quite a few hours before we have to be anywhere and I plan to thoroughly soak up this time with my babies. This afternoon we will gather with people we love so much and we will give thanks for so many things. This morning I am thankful for all of the mornings I was smart enough to get up for the damn parade. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 932

Day 944